The System Logistics software application Best Fit® is aimed at finding palletization solutions as well as providing excellent order pallet configurations .
This application takes into account the variables related to each type of package, including the dimensions, shape, weight, and ability to be stacked and/or crossed, determining the best configuration.
The core of the Best Fit® software is a powerful 3D display which provides users the option of viewing each assembled pallet using wireframes or solids. Information is also obtained about the orders, status, exceptions and configuration parameters used for robotized pallet assembly.
The Best Fit® software is based on a unique approach consisting of the use of an iterative algorithm for the optimization of the solution for each pallet. Pallet planning occurs in two stages:
- Stage 1: The Splitting stage
From the number of cases, the Splitting stage calculates how many pallets need to be built for an order, and which SKUs and how many cases/packages need to be placed on each pallet.
To perform the Splitting stage, Best Fit applies the so-called “business rules”:
- Optimization of the number of pallets based on the maximum height, volume and weight
- Combination of “compatible SKUs, with the same type of packaging
- Isolation of allergenic and incompatible products .
- Stage 2: The Best Fitting stage (assembly)
The Best Fitting stage defines the exact sequence for the building of each pallet after the SKUs and cases/packages have been allocated to pallets in the Splitting stage.
The aims of this process are:
• Pallet stability by minimizing empty spaces
• To combine identical SKUs (by layers or by column)
• To comply with pallet height restrictions and maintain the lowest possible overall height.
This process helps stackability and storage in the shop.